Monday, April 19, 2010

Final Reflections



Before I start to write on my reflection, I would like to thank Mr. Blackstone and all my dearest classmates, as I have learnt a lot from all of you.

Time flies and this module have finally coming to an end. Before taking this module, I was wondering whether I should opt for it and would it be too difficult for me to manage. Fortunately, I have gone through it and benefited much from it. I don't regret taking this module, although it was quite taxing.

For me, this module was so real, just like a process starting from job application to professional oral presentation that I would have encountered in the working arena. From the day we were told to write the job application letter and resume, I felt as if I was really going to work. This feeling became stronger during the mock interview as the situation was so real and the questions asked were so professional. During then, it made me realized the importance of professional communication, in order to impress the potential employer and secure a job. Besides that, working as a group for the major project also exposed me to the future working environment, where good interpersonal and communication skills are needed. Lastly, the oral presentation, which is the most unforgettable part of this module, made me realized the importance of confidence and some non-verbal skills in professional communication. Thus, I feel that this module is quite helpful as it has given me some exposure to the challenges that I may encounter in a potential working place.

Blogging and peer teaching have also helped me a lot in developing some communication skills. For example, through peer teaching, I realized the importance of engaging the audience during a presentation. As I am a discreet person, I do not voice my opinions much. However, this module had given me a good chance to improve myself in this area, since I was required to give my comments and share my views. I feel that I could interact better now. I think this is the most significant benefit that I have gained from this module.

To end this, may all of you always be happy and well.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Xian Rui,
    I think the efforts you have made during the various points in this module have shone through. I can see how far you have come and it is rather inspiring to see such efforts. I agree that the mock interview was a good experience. Having been to many interviews, this mock interview was the only opportunity I have received to be in the other side of the table as the interviewer. It was truly a valuable experience.

    It was great knowing you, and all the best in your future endeavours!:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xian Rui
    I am sure you have gained a lot from this module! And same here!
    Yet, I think how to apply what we have learnt in this module is also challenging since after some time, I always tend to forget what I have learnt before. So let us keep working and try to have those good habits all the time!

    I strongly agree with you that it was quite an experience for the job mock interview. I think I learnt a lot from this experience and also it is an unforgettable memory for me, haha!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hi Xian Rui,

    I like the beautiful picture in this blog post. I am also happy for you to be able to learn so much from this module. I believe that it has been an enriching experience for all of us.

    I also agree with you on the importance of acquiring the professional communication skills in order to better find success outside school. As such, and as mentioned numerous times before, I will strongly recommend making this module compulsory or at least raising students' awareness of ES2007S.

    Have fun studying and take care, my friend.

    Ciao.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Xian Rui,

    I can relate to your initial doubts about taking this module. Having come through the module relatively unscathed, I agree with you that it was a good choice. We can now look back proudly at what we have learnt and achieved from this course!

    Also, I am glad that Lalitha and I managed to create a relatively authentic job interview experience for you and that you benefited from the experience. Similarly, when Divya and you were interviewing me, you two asked very apt questions and gave very useful comments as well. Thank you very much for that!

    It was great having you as my classmate, and all the best in your future endeavours!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks, Xian Rui, for this very detailed reflective post and for all your hard work during the term. It's good to hear your persepctive on the various content topics, and I appreciate how you contributed to your team's work and to the class in general.

    All the best in your future!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all,

    Thanks for all your comments. I think that all of us have gained what we want through this modules and I sincerely hope that we could make full use of those skills.

    All the best
    Xian Rui

    ReplyDelete