Wednesday, April 14, 2010

Reflection on Oral Presentation

Firstly I would like to thank all of the members in my group, Divya , Shi Ting and Germaine for all your hard work. We made it and finally it is over.I believe that our effort in preparing the presentation is worth it as it was a good presentation.

For my part I think that I have improved. As compared to the peer teaching, I was more confident. First of all, I was better in projecting my voice than the peer teaching. Besides that, I think that my body language improved during this presentation. I also managed to maintain better eye contact with the audience in this presentation than the peer teaching. I would like to express my gratitude to my group mates again who helped me to improve in all of these through our long sessions of practicing one day before the actual presentation.

However, although I am satisfied with my performance, there are still many things that require improvement. One of it would be my language command. As I am not a native English speaker, I found some difficulties in the pronunciation of certain words. Furthermore, I tend to feel nervous when I start to converse in English. Another problem of mine is that I tend to refer to my cue cards. Although I was quite well-prepared and knew my presentation content well enough, I still referred to my cue cards to give me some sense of security. All of these are things I need to work on so that I can communicate more effectively during oral presentations.

Lastly, I have learnt a lot from the module ES2007S Professional Communication, especially in oral presentation skills. I would like to show my appreciation to Mr. Blackstone for his guidance and comments which have helped me improve. Lastly I would like to thank all my classmates from Group 7 as I really learnt a lot from you all.

6 comments:

  1. Hey Xian rui,

    I understand your difficulties but I think the efforts you have made at overcoming them are commendable. Your voice projection has definitely improved and I think your more formal dressing did wonders to the way you portrayed yourself overall.

    However, as you mentioned you did have difficulty with language command and pronunciation of words like 'elements'. But I do not remember you giving up. So that is the way to go. Just keep practising.

    All the best.

    Cheers,
    Div

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Xian Rui,

    I thought you were a lot more confident this time around. Your voice was loud and clear most of the time, though there were instances where you lowered your voice probably at parts you were unsure of.

    You made a conscious effort to engage the audience by smiling and maintaining eye contact.

    However, I did notice that sometimes you would get lost in your cue cards, as if you couldn't find what you wanted to say.

    Overall, I think you made a vast improvement from your last peer teaching presentation. Great job!

    Gwen

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hey Xian Rui,

    Honestly, I was really impressed by your performance. This is in comparison to the tremendous improvements you have made since your first peer teaching session, and other presentations you have made in class. I think you should be very proud of the presentation you did. It was good that you didnt refer too much to your cue cards, and that you were loud and clear.

    One thing you could improve on is that you tend to fidget back and forth which could be distracting.

    Good job Xian Rui, and you have come far! :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Xian Rui,

    I agree with Keerthani that you have done a good job given the fact that you are not a native English speaker. Nonetheless, I do think that your presentation could be better if you can cut down on the number of times you refer to your cue cards. This will reduce those halting speeches and serve to increase the flow of the overall presentation.

    And, I like your calm composure and your cheerful smiles that were so evident during your presentation that day. They have made you more endearing to the audience.

    See you in class,
    Kenny

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hi all,

    Thanks for all your comments,I will try to improve my presentation skills by not using cue cards in the future. Haha

    Xian Rui

    ReplyDelete